I LOVE LIFE!

Monday, January 13, 2014

Where two or more are gathered.

So, I was raised in a Christian home.  I can't remember a time in my life where we didn't pray before our meals.  We even have a family prayer... Yeah, you heard me right.  A family prayer!  Is that normal?  I have often wondered if its normal.   So do me a favor and if you have a family prayer then commen and tell me... Seriously :) I'm curious.
      Anyways... We have a family prayer... That's started with I thiiiink my great grandparents.  I could be wrong about that.  But we say it before meals.  Growing up it was the norm for us kids.  However it did make inviting a friend over for dinner slightly awkward, ha.  This is how it goes:
Ahhhheeeemmm.....
 
     Dear lord, we thank thee for our care, the food we eat and the clothes we wear.  Be present with us everywhere.  Amen.

    That's it.  Simple, easy, to the point. I like it.  Anyways, allll of that to say this.  I grew up praying. Prayers have been a part of my everyday.  My moms prayers are comforting and nurturing. My dads prayers are powerful and honest.  I always loved hearing them pray.  When I was a child they calmed me down before bed and mad sit easier to fall asleep in spite of this e monsters under my bed... :). As a teenager they kept me rooted when my heart wanted to rebel, I know y'all think I'm perfect but I had some rebellion in the day. :). And as an adult the prayers of my parents is something I seek, I ask for when times are hard.  They are something I rely on.

    Y'all know I'm living with my grandparents right now and taking care of them.  They are 89 and 90 years old.  Grandpa was in a car accident in August where he broke his neck and since then they have just needed a little extra help.  That help has come from their eight children for the last six months (which by itself is incredible... God has blessed me with such wonderful aunts and uncles).  But now they need the help of someone else so I volunteered.  I didn't feel pressured or obligated at all.  I didn't feel pushed in a corner .  I didn't do it to look good, to please my parents or any other reason other than I genuinely love them.  And selfishly, I have missed them.  I grew up down the street from them and have missed them while they have lived in Tennessee for the last 5 years.  I have enough memories of them to write a book.  I adore them.  They are simply the best people.  And they, as I mentioned in a previous blog, are my heritage.   I find it only necessary, as well as the biggest honor of my life so far, to be here with them.  Honestly, truly, from my heart.  I'm honored.


       Living with them I have been able to pray with them.  Stinking' unreal.  These people don't pray like normal people.  They don't wait till dinner time and close there eyes and say a prayer... They speak to The Lord constantly thru the day.  They call out his name.  They truly live in relationship with their God.  It's inspiring.  I have a monitor in my room so in case they need me they can just speak into the monitor and it wakes me up.

I have something to admit.     ------        I love that monitor.

   I love the songs  that come thru that monitor.  This is my favorite right now,,, sing along if you know it.

And I thank god for the lighthouse,  I owe my life to Him, for Jesus is the lighthouse, and from the rocks of sin, He as shown a light around me that I could clearly see.  If it wasn't for at lighthouse, where would my ship be?

Or the song that will forever remind me of my grandpa:

I'd rather have Jesus, then silver or gold,
I'd rather have Him then have riches untold.
I'd rather have Jesus then houses or land,
I'd rather be led by His nail pierced hands.

   And to hear them pray.  It's beautiful.

  Ill roll over in the middle of the night and possibly hear my grandpa rolling over at the same time.  He has been so sick recently and in so much pain.  Can I tell you that he has never once complained? Never once been a bad mood, never told me to stop talking to him (even though I'm sure he's been tempted). But instead I can just hear that aged, farmer boy, hard working voice call out 'Jesus, oh Jesus... Jesus......'


       I'm not sure which has rocked my world more this last week, hearing them pray or watching them physically live out what they pray.  My grandma is constantly saying 'thank you Jesus... Thankyou Jesus.'  All day long.


    My mom reached out to my grandparents church here in tn to see if some people could come pray for them and anoint them.  A crowd showed up and they did so.  There's a video on my Facebook page of it.  Sweetest thing.  My grandpa has felt so much better.  His heart is better.  He is talking and smiling.  And it's because of prayer.  It's because the gospel really is true.

   Where two or more are gathered in His name.. he will be there.

 I'm so glad.  I'm so thankful for that promise.   Everyday is precious and wonderful with them.  I know I'm supposedly here to help them... But let me tell ya people.  They are helping me.

They are changing my life.

   


1 comment:

  1. This is the most beautiful post, Brooke. I hope my daughters can learn from your lovely example of what God can teach generationally, and I pray He blesses you with people who can appreciate your sweet spirit and pour into your life!!

    ReplyDelete